Most people are not even aware of that fact that the regular shampoo which they are using contains sulfate, an expensive ingredients used by many companies. And sulfates cause a lot of damage to your hair. You should instead use a sulfate free shampoo. But how exactly does sulfate cause harm to your scalp and hair? Let’s find out.
The severity of the harmful effect will differ from person to person and their hair quality. But sulfates do harm the hair in any case.
- Surfactants are the chemicals which are found in sulfates. It means that your regular shampoo contains several harmful chemicals which are designed for nothing but degrading surface tension of the liquids, and this makes it easier for the shampoo to spread out and also this is why it foams.
- Sulfates possess a very strong capability of thoroughly irritating your hair. And not just hair, also your eyes and skin. The extent to which the harm is caused widely depends from person to person. Few people may experience only little to no irritation, but the other few may even experience allergic reactions. The latter is common during the hot summer months.
- Sulfates have the potential of totally stripping off the essential oils from your hair. This, in turn, obviously damages your hair. They become brittle and dried out. The appearance becomes dull and they feel weird on being touched.
- If you use a shampoo harboring sulfate on a daily basis, for many months together, you can expect long term and irreparable damage to your hair. The overall health of the hair will be damaged, and only a very expensive can restore it back to its original health.
- As less as only 5% concentration of that particular harmful chemical that harbors sulfates in your bottle of shampoo,is known to have the capacity to ruin your hair. A little research on sulfate free dandruff shampoo concentrations will show that a large number of shampoos have these chemicals, and there are only a few varieties of sulfate free shampoo. Also, you will get to know that regular shampoo contains at least 30% of that chemical. If 5% is known to cause enough damage, you can imagine what 30% of the same chemical will do to your hair.
- There are many other bad consequences of using a shampoo, which contains the chemical containing sulfates. These include major irritations in the scalp, in the eyes, and even in the ears. You will notice split ends often and the hair will feel rough and frizzy. In extreme cases, there may even occur swelling of the hands and neck.
Given so many bad effects of the shampoo, it becomes obvious why you should opt for a shampoo free of sulfates instead. We do not deny the fact that sulfate free shampoo will cost you more than the regular one, but it is better to spend a little more than living with damaged and dull hair all the time. So ditch your regular shampoo right away!